Founded on 3rd. April 1752 and for some years known as 'Oliver Chapel', this congregation built a new church in Chapel Alley off Deansgate in what became Ridgway Gates. It had no special form of government but its theology was Calvinist and was open to all Protestant Dissenters, many of whom came from Bank Street Chapel as its minister gradually became Unitarian.
The building was extended many times, but because of a shortage of seats for the growing population of Bolton, the members bought a lease on the present site. The new building opened in 1863 as St. George's Road Congregational Church.
Several additions and alterations subsequently took place, the main ones being the addition of the School buildings in 1915 and two major refurbishments to the interior in 1932 and 1996.
The fellowship was also involved in the establishment of Congregational churches at Mawdsley Street, Derby Street, Deane and Blackburn Road, as well as Kay Street Mission and Tyldesley.